How can I waste less food when eating out?
Most of us have experienced the “eyes bigger than our stomachs” syndrome when dining out. After all, it’s a treat to eat food we don’t have to prepare, especially when everything on the menu looks yummy. Follow these tips to make sure you don’t bite off more than you can chew:
- Ask your server about portion sizes to determine how much to order.
- Ask for smaller portions of menu items or a takeaway container for leftovers – better yet, bring a takeaway tote from home to reduce use of plastic bags and containers.
- Swap sides. If a dish contains something you don’t like, ask if you can swap it out for something else.
- Share large portions with your dinner companions.
- Don’t be in a rush to order more. It takes 15-20 minutes after eating to start feeling full.
- If you didn’t like something on your plate, give your feedback to the restaurant so they can improve the dish and avoid future waste.
More Tips to Reduce Food Waste